Tuesday 26 March 2013

Home made chicken nuggets.

My kids all love chicken nuggets, I mean what kid doesn't?
But since I have been on my additive free mission, I have discovered that there are not many chicken nuggets out there that I would like my children to eat.
I went searching for a healthy nugget recipe so my children would not have to miss out. After trying a few different recipes, I found that my children liked these nuggets the most.




Ingredients 

Nuggets:

1 chicken breast roughly chopped
1 pinch of garlic salt (to taste)
1 teaspoon of Italian herbs

Crumbing mix:
Bowl 1
1  cup wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon salt

Bowl 2
2 eggs lightly beaten

1 1/2 cups of oil to fry (I used Cassa Barelli olive oil from Aldi as it is additive free and its all that I had on hand)

Directions

Place all three nugget ingredients into a food process and blend for around a minute until mushy.

Using a spoon, scoop out spoonfuls of the mixture and roll them into balls. Using the spoon will help you to keep all the balls the same size.

After you have all the balls rolled, prepare a tray with baking paper to keep the nuggets on as you make them. Next, roll a ball in the flour mix, then dip it in the egg, and roll in the flour mixture again.

Next place it on the tray and press it into a nugget shape. repeat this process for the rest of the chicken balls.  Once they are done place them in the fridge for 10 minutes to firm.

Place the oil in a heavy bottom pan and place on a medium high heat. Once the oil is heated, place in 6 or nuggets and let them fry for 3-4 minutes on each side. make sure they are a golden brown colour before you turn them over. Repeat until all nuggets are cooked.




No comments:

Post a Comment